Enjoy Spinach Pork Porridge for a warm and comforting lunch or dinner. Adding spinach in a porridge makes a balance and healthy one-pot meal.And with only rice cooker, you can also make delicious and easy dishes just like this. I also made lotus root soup using rice cooker.Local/Chinese baby spinach is recommended for this porridge, as the leaves & stems are more tender. However, they can be easily substituted with regular sharp spinach or any local varieties of spinach/ with good results.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 Minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR
1. 1 packet (200g) local baby sharp spinach (苋菜苗) or any variety of local spinach
2. 1 cup of white rice
3. 150g minced meat (if u prefer more meat, you can add on)
4. 1 piece of Ginger
5. 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
6. 1 tablespoon of light soya sauce
7. 3 dashes of white pepper powder
8. Canned peanuts
1. Marinate minced pork using 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, light soya sauce and 3 dashes of white pepper and leave it for 30 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
2. Prepare the spinach. Trim and cut off the bottom one-third layer of stems.Then, rinse the spinach.
3. Cut the ginger into slices
4. Add in the rice and ginger slices to the rice cooker and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then, add in the marinated minced pork.
5. Once the porridge is cooked, add in the spinach and peanuts. And of course season it with little bit of salt.
You can blanch the spinach in a pot of boiling water, rinse under tap water to cool down if you do not prefer to dump them into the porridge. I would prefer to add everything in the rice cooker to cook. If you prefer more fancy ingredients, add in salmon meats or youtiao to your porridge.So, it is all depends on individual preference.