My foodie friends wanted to explore Johor Bahru (JB) over the weekend. Thus, we planned a weekend trip across the causeway a month ago. The reason being is that the train tickets are selling like hotcakes. We need to ensure that we are able to secure the train tickets back from Johor Bahru on Sunday evening.We didn’t plan the itinerary but we did list down the food places that we wanted to try. So, here is my 2D1N weekend JB guide suggestion including the previous food places I went.
HOW TO GET TO JOHOR BAHRU
Apart from taking Public Bus ( CW1, CW2, Bus 950 , 170 , 160 ) from designated location, you can purchase train tickets through online for both ways ( SG-JB , JB-SG). However, the tickets are selling like hotcakes and we couldn’t secure the tickets to JB. So, we travelled early Saturday morning and back by train.
You can book your train ticket thru KTM or Easybook. The train ticket fare (SG-JB) is S$5.00 and (JB-SG) is RM5.00.
HOW WE GET AROUND IN JB
We are travelling in group of 5 and I did not drive this time. Thus, we opt for GRAB services. GRAB provide GRABcar and 6-seater GRAB services, which is just perfect for us. Alternatively, you can opt to rent a car or take cab.
Note: Some of the places are not able to detect from the GRAB google map. Thus, it is better for you highlight this to your GRAB driver upon booking to avoid any misunderstanding. Alternatively, go to the respective restaurants/ cafes official website to click on their direction link for accuracy.
WHERE TO STAY
You can opt for Airbnb or hotel stay depending on your budget and the places you want to explore. If you prefer to stay near to JB checkpoint, Doubletree by Hilton Johor Bahru, Amari Johor Bahru Hotel, The Puteri Pacific Johor Bahru Hotel or even The Replacement Lodge & Kitchen.
Otherwise, you can look for the Airbnb or hotels located further away from town area. For example, Holiday Villa Johor Bahru, Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.
Apart from the famous Jalan Tan Hiok Nee and Jalan Dhoby traditional breakfast, you can consider to go for Bak Kut Te h or Roti Canai for breakfast. Most local breakfast places operate from 7:00am / 8:00am onwards so it is better to start your journey from Singapore earlier to brave the traffic and human jam.
Here are suggestions for breakfast place:
1. Restoran Hua Mui – traditional breakfast
2. Kin Wah Kopitiam – traditional breakfast
3. Roti Canai Bukit Chagar – Roti Canai
4. Restoran Kota Zheng Zhong –Bak Kut Teh
5. Kedai Masakan Itik Taika Huat 八里半大家发鸭肉
6. Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh – Bak Kut Teh
7. Restoran Soon Soon Heng -Bak Kut Teh
8. The Replacement Lodge & Kitchen – Western breakfast (open at 9:00AM)
9. The Faculty of Caffeine – Western breakfast (Open at 9:00AM)
10. Good Morning Food Truck – Taiwanese-style sandwich
LUNCH / DINNER PLACES
These are the frequent places that I will visit whenever my foodie friends are in town. You can check them out as they are open for lunch and dinner. This is best when you travel in group because you get to try many dishes at one time go.
1. Restoran Ban Heong Seng – JB Famous Beggar Chicken (Order at least 1 day in advance)
2. Restoran Uncle Pou Wok– famous with Kampong Chicken, KL Hokkien Mee and zi char dishes
3. Restoran Kah Kah Loke– famous with the bitter gourd dishes
4. Restoran Todak Seafood– seafood dishes
5. TKK Seafood Restaurant– Seafood dishes
CAFES TO VISIT IN JB
I did a couple posts according the JB areas so you may want to click on below link for your reference
There are too many places to explore in Johor Bahru. It is more than a weekend gateway especially for foodies. So many places I have yet to try and revisit. I hope I can explore more places whenever I am back to JB over the weekend and if time permits. So, do share with me any interesting places you spotted! Till then…